Home Up Nasalpol2


Do you have nasal polyps?

You may be sensitive to SALICYLATE

What is Salicylate?

Salicylate is aspirin, or acetylsalicylic acid. 

The use of salicylate dates back 2500 years to when Hippocrates recommended the use of willow bark to relieve the pain of childbirth. Salicylic acid is the extract from willow bark that produces the analgesic effect. Today, salicylate is used in many over-the-counter and prescription medications for their analgesic, anti-inflammatory, and antipyretic properties. 

Salicylate ingestion was a common cause of poisoning and death in children in the United States prior to the 1970s, when legislation requiring childproof packaging on medications was passed. Despite the reduction of poisonings because of repackaging, salicylate toxicity remains a significant cause of morbidity and mortality.

Find out more about salicylate

Send e mail to Body Language    Site sponsored by SureScreen Diagnostics Ltd www.surescreen.com Copyright exists on all material within this site. Please ask approval before you refer to it. This page last modified: June 30, 2005.